In the XIII century, Catholics settled in the neighboring area where the church is built and in 1240 the Dominican Order founded a monastery on the location. In 1328 Tbilisi was raised to an Episcopal See and the Cathedral Church was built and dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Catholic worship was interrupted here in the XVI century. During the XVII century Catholic missionaries returned to Georgia and built a new church dedicated to the Annunciation (the so-called “Latin Church on the Catholic street”). Later, King Teimuraz II would once more deprive Catholics of worshiping on this location.
The current Cathedral was envisioned by Friar Philipo Foranian and it was built beside the premises of the previous Annunciation Church (1805 – 1808). In 1884, the building was further embellished by Fr. Dmitri Tumanishvili. Between 1998 and 1999 the Cathedral Church underwent major restoration work under the guidance of the Apostolic Administrator, Bishop Giuseppe Pasotto and architect A. Solomnishvili. At the conclusion of the restoration the church was rededicated in honor of the Assumption of Mary. Today, the building shows elements of baroque and neo-gothic architecture and the sanctuary is adorned with a contemporary fresco work (1999 – 2000).
In addition to this Cathedral Church, the Catholic Church of Saints Peter and Paul is also located in Tbilisi.